A Bit of a Whirlwind

The week before Pete and I headed to the East Coast for Christmas was a bit of a whirlwind. We didn’t have the final word that everything was in order for our move (work permit pre-approval, healthcare, etc.) until Wednesday afternoon. After getting the news from Pete, I went straight to my manager to give my notice. The timing was not ideal (Thursday was my last day in the office for the year) but she (the whole team) was extremely supportive and excited for us.

Pete and I spent Wednesday night getting things in order for the move – organizing what would need to come with us on the drive, what would be shipped to Toronto, and what would get shipped to Rhode Island. The movers came around noon on Thursday to put together an estimate for the move. Thursday night, my very last night in our first home, was spent doing more organizing and packing. AND making sure that all of our Christmas gifts were packed, only one gift has been misplaced in the move (I’m starting to suspect someone in Toronto might have snagged it out of our checked bag and utilized it in the ice storm). The movers were scheduled to come on the 28th, when I was still on the East Coast.20140107-103725.jpgFriday morning we left bright and early for Toronto. We had to get our work permits after clearing customs in Toronto. Thankfully we were the only people there and the process only took about 30 minutes.

We had our first exposure to how small apartments (“condos”) are on Friday afternoon. You would think after having lived in London nothing would shock us…but after being spoiled by the Chicago suburbs, we were. We were originally hoping to find a 2 bedroom + den place, so we could ideally set up the den as a nursery and still have a guest room. That notion went the window pretty quick.

Saturday we spent the majority of the day trekking around in the rain/freezing rain with an agent looking at more places. Of the 10 or so we saw, there was one that could have potentially worked but the layout wasn’t ideal. It was a little bit discouraging but we also knew that we didn’t HAVE to find something that weekend; we’d have a couple of weeks when we arrived to find somewhere if need be.

Due to the ice storm that was rolling in, our flight on Sunday morning was cancelled. Pete managed to get us booked on the evening flight out. To kill time we started emailing people with apartments posted on Craigslist hoping to be able to see a couple of places before heading to the airport. We were able to see two places – both with great space (compared to what we had been seeing) but one was really old and a little decrepit although the owner was super nice. The first place we saw we both really liked and when we got back to the hotel we reached out to the owner to try to negotiate the contract terms. And lucky for us, he was able to work with us. We’ll (Pete) be moving in next weekend!

Because my husband is an expert traveler I was able to get out of Toronto on Sunday night. But thanks to a checked bag packed with Christmas gifts he was stuck in Toronto. He ended up getting into Boston on Monday afternoon. And we got into a minor car accident on the way home from the airport…no one was injured but the car is still in the shop getting fixed. Needless to say, I’m still feeling bad about that checked bag…


One thought on “A Bit of a Whirlwind

  1. I am just starting to get an idea how expensive it really is to get a little space in a city. I can’t wait to live right in a large city but I think it is a shock finding out how small the spaces are and how big the rent is.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s